Wednesday 4 February 2015

Reading: paper…or e-book?

It is well known that technology has changed our lives and, in most of the cases, for better. But... has it helped in matters of education? Let’s start! 

With the advancements of phones and tablets, ebooks have become a popular reading standard. Still, some people argue that there's something about the feeling of an old-fashioned paper book. 

So... starting with the advantages of electronic books we find that they are more accessible and portable than traditional books, allowing you to carry your whole library everywhere.


However, as many others say, and this is something I support, the kind of format depends on the kind of book. Probably you won’t mind reading a certain novel on a screen, but, when it comes to some series that you like, you may prefer (as I do) a normal paper book of which from my point of view, is easier and more comfortable to read.

In terms of reading, this may not seem important, but I’m one of those people who feel the weight and touch of a book is a hard opponent for a screen. 

On the one hand, ebooks help us to save money and resources, reducing the amount of trees which are cut for us to enjoy a simple book. However, on the other hand, due to the facilities we enjoy nowadays for downloading new books, publishing companies are being damaged both in terms of economics and prestige. With more and more people moving to ebooks and more and more editorials being closed, the decision is yours, screen...or paper?

11 comments:

  1. It's a very difficult decision... It's true that with the e-book you can carry the hole library but... when you are going to swich it on the battery is always dead. Furthermore, I am from the ones that prefer the touch and smell of a real book than the screen of a machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very difficult decision... It's true that with the e-book you can carry the hole library but... when you are going to swich it on the battery is always dead. Furthermore, I am from the ones that prefer the touch and smell of a real book than the screen of a machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer e-books because you can carry lots of books in one single place and because the battery takes a lot to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true that technology has changed our lives for better but I wouldn't replace a real book for an e-book. Nowadays we spend too much time in front of a screen! What is more, if everybody had e-books, nobody would go to the libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm agree with Arabela, I love reading real books. However, they are more expensive. I read plenty of books, so If I bought real books, I would spend lots of money. Because of this, I prefer reading e-books. Actually, the important thing is to read, it doesn't matter which type of books we use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that both ideas are good. As you said, with normal books you cut trees to make paper, damaging the environment. However, the e-book consumes electricity implying a process behind it harmful to the environment too. So here it does not matter to choose because it is not a question of damage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like e-books because you can carry plenty of books without having the sense of the weight.
    I prefer to read in a tablet than in a rough paper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that e-books are a great invention but I prefer to read using a normal paper that though a screen.
    Nuria.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that e-books are a great invention but I prefer to read using a normal paper that though a screen.
    Nuria.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer to read in a real book because is what you are used to. If they are too expensive you can go to a public library and borrow some of them

    ReplyDelete