Wednesday 15 April 2015

Curiosities

Today I am going to talk about some curiosities of the human body. I have chosen certain things that I think are quite interesting.

Alright, I will start with sneezes. Do you hate when someone sneezes and does not cover his mouth? Yes, me too, so let me tell you something. Sneezes travel at 100mph, that is a good reason to cover your mouth.  And as well, this is the reason why you cannot sneeze with your eyes open. I have tried, it is impossible... 


Everybody has seen grandparents, I am sure. Have you noticed that some of them have quite big noses and ears? That is because they are continuously growing. However your eyes will be the same size for your entire life from the same moment in which you are born.

This curiosity is a bit bizarre. A human head can be conscious from 15 to 20 seconds after it has been severed. I could not believe it, I thought it only happened in films. I remember one chapter of The Simpsons in which this happened. At first I thought it didn't make sense, but now I think it is quite realistic. This happens because there is enough blood in the head to maintain it conscious for some seconds after it has been cut off.

My last curiosity is that it is impossible to tickle yourself. It is true, I have also tried it. This happens because your brain predicts what your hands are going to do so it does not react. However if someone else tickles you it will work because your brain is not prepared for that. 

13 comments:

  1. I have also seen that chapter of the Simpsons. When I saw it, I didn't believe that it was true. In the Simpsons, there is many fantasy. But now that you say it is true..It is incredible! One question, Has someone checked it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think about the one of tickle yourself, I don´t understand why if you make it yourself nothing happen,but if someone does it yes.
    I like the post!
    Nuria

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is true. If you cut off someones head, it will stay ``awake´´. This was tested during the French Revolution (1789) because some people, after being executed in the guillotine, could open and close their eyes and even tried to speak.
    For this reason, the guillotine was banned as a way to execute people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes, when people tickle me, I feel them in other parts of the body. Haven't you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, when people tickle me, I feel them in other parts of the body. Haven't you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talking about sneezing, do you think that sneezing is contagious? Or they are just a myth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know the reason why some parts of the body keep growing during your entire life and others don´t?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know the reason why it is imposible to sneeze with your eyes open? I always wondered why our body doesn't allow us to keep them open.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite interesting the topic, specially the thing about the nose and the ears. I didn't know that they continue growing for your whole life. I can't imagine how big they will be in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite interesting the topic, specially the thing about the nose and the ears. I didn't know that they continue growing for your whole life. I can't imagine how big they will be in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are some strange curiosities that if you don't think about them, you don't release. When I try to tickle myself it is imposible. however when someone ickles my i can't stop laughing

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are some strange curiosities that if you don't think about them, you don't release. When I try to tickle myself it is imposible. however when someone ickles my i can't stop laughing

    ReplyDelete